INTERBEING
Intellectual property issues such as copyrights, patents, trademarks,
peer to peer networks, sampling and digital rights technology have a
profound impact on many aspects of society. Interbeing provides links
to emerging IP stories with a focus on law, technology and culture.
Thursday, August 19, 2004
  Wired Removes Capital (no it's not a typo)



Wired News announced it would no longer capitalize the Internet, Web or Net when describing the World Wide Web? It's a sign that perhaps we're getting over ourselves, which even the stock market crash didn't quite take care of. I suspect that in every time, people have seen themselves and their generation's new inventions as somehow special. And I hate to be repeating this glaring error in self-perception, but I think our generation's hubris was towards the top of the scale, hence the capitalization.

Did they call it the Telephone, when the phone system was invented? I'm going to use some Electricity. Or how about, put the mammoth tusk in the Fire, please Og

So I offer my congratulations to Wired News for waking up and returning to a semblance of proper perspective..
 

Comments:
I wonder if all the technical publication guideline books will follow suit. I always thought it was cheesy to capitalize those as 'correct grammar,' or whatever you call it.
PERMALINK:  
Post a Comment

<< Home

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 /

NEWSFEED

LINKS:

Powered by Blogger